South, Southeast, and East Asia Fund
The South, Southeast, and East Asia Fund (formerly the CIK Fund) is administered by International Affairs and supports individual faculty research projects for typically up to $2,000. Additionally, it provides up to $4,000 for the development or maintenance of institutional exchanges, partnerships and academic collaborations between KU and counterparts at selected postsecondary institutions. The fund prioritizes helping departments and schools initiate and/or build relationships on behalf of KU with peer institutions of higher learning that grow KU research, expand research impact, further student success, or promote healthy and vibrant communities under the Jayhawks Rising strategic plan.
- Eligible applicants must be tenured or tenure-track faculty members at KU.
- Applicants who have not received support from the South, Southeast, and East Asia Fund in the past three years will receive priority.
- Proposals to support research activities must contribute to scholarly publication.
- Attendance or participation in an international conference are not eligible activities under this fund.
How to Apply
- A description of the project (not to exceed three pages, single-spaced), including its benefit to KU and its alignment with Jayhawks Rising; plans for publication (for research proposals); the location and length of the stay abroad; and why the project requires travel abroad.
- A detailed travel budget and information on other sources of support or potential support. If requesting support for the development of an institutional exchange, partnership or academic collaboration, matching funds from the applicant’s department or school are required.
- A letter from the applicant’s department chair or dean endorsing the project and, if proposing an institutional exchange, commitment of matching funds to demonstrate the importance of the partnership to KU and within the department/school.
- Proposals for travel to any region within SSEA will be considered; however, priority will be given to the KU articulated target regions of India, Nepal, Bangladesh, South Korea, Taiwan, China, Indonesia and Japan.
- While KUIA will review all proposals submitted for institutional exchanges, partnerships, academic collaborations and individual faculty research, the most compelling proposals will:
- Speak to the project’s contribution to institutional internationalization as a core foundation that informs Jayhawks Rising. Examples might include, and are not limited to: the development of new collaborative research projects; faculty mobility toward joint funding or publication opportunities; international partnership or collaboration development; international student recruitment; and/or outbound student mobility.
- Engage with two or more research priorities within the Jayhawks Rising Framework that grow KU research, expand research impact, further student success, or promote healthy and vibrant communities.
Jayhawks Rising Framework
- Development Across the Lifespan
- Earth, Energy, Environment
- Hydrogen Hub
- Human Experience in the Digital Age
- Molecules & Medicine
- Security & Safety
- Funding Aquisition
- Talent & Expertise Alignment
- Equipment Access
- Content & Data Access
- Faculty Mobility
- Joint Publication
- Undergraduate Recruitment
- Grad Recruitment
- Non-Degree Enrollment
- Funding for Students
- Career-Related Industry Partnerships
- Out-bound Student Mobility
- Community Engagement & Impact
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging
- Demographic Societies
- United Nations Sustainable Goals
- Grant recipients will be asked to submit a one-page report on project activities and outcomes, due one month after returning from their trip.
- Acknowledgment of support from International Affairs in resulting publications.
- International Affairs may request grant recipients to offer a presentation on their research to the campus community or serve on future grant selection committees up to three years post award.
Proposals are due 11:59 p.m., Thursday, March 9, 2023. Please email to Whitney Denning at email@example.com.