Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad
The internal KU deadline for the FY2022 DDRA competition is March 28, 2022 at 8 a.m. Doctoral students interested in the DDRA are also strongly encouraged to apply for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program (FUSP).
An applicant must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States;
- Be a graduate student in good standing at a U.S.-based institution of higher education who has been admitted to doctoral candidacy(i.e., has completed comprehensive examinations and is ABD/"all but dissertation");
- Plan to have a teaching career in the United States after completion of the doctoral program;
- Possess language skills adequate to carry out the proposed dissertation research abroad.
The G5 portal has frequent issues, so it is very important that Dr. Sherman Johnson, the PI for all KU DDRA applications, has a back-up copy of your application. The following items must be submitted both in the G5 online application and to Dr. Sherman Johnson via email at email@example.com.
- Budget (monthly maintenance and research allowance)
- Curriculum vitae
- Project description
- Ten-page limit, 12pt, double-spaced, 1-inch margins in Times New Roman font
- Two-page limit, 12 pt, single-spaced, 1-inch margins in Times New Roman font
- Language reference(s) (in English)
- Three academic references. These should all be KU faculty if possible. One must be from the dissertation adviser. Ask your references to send a back-up copy to Dr. Sherman Johnson via email as well as submitting it through the G5 portal. Due to a known issue with the G5 system, applicants should not complete their materials submission until all reference letters are in submitted status. It is essential that referees submit their letters by the internal KU deadline, not the Department of Education national deadline.
- Letter(s) of affiliation (written in English or translated)
- Unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts
- IRB narrative (applicants conducting research on human subjects only) Follow the instructions in the application package exactly, being as brief as possible while still covering all the required components. Do not upload the IRB narrative into the G5 portal; submit this only via email.
- Travel expenses to and from the US and the site(s) of research;
- Maintenance and dependents allowances based on the cost of living in the country(ies) of research;
- Project allowances for research such as books, copying, affiliation fees, local travel, and incidentals;
- Health and accident insurance;
- A $100 administrative fee to the applicant institution (KU).