• Home
  • Faculty/Staff
  • External Grants
  • Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Fellowship Program

Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Fellowship Program


Please note: Federal funding for this fellowship has not been available since FY2010.

When federal funds are available, the Fulbright-Hays faculty research grant provides support for faculty for three-12 months of research to be conducted outside the United States. These fellowships provide opportunities for full-time research in modern languages and area studies. Proposals focusing on Western Europe are not eligible.

Funds support: travel expenses to and from the residence of the fellow and the country or countries of research, a maintenance stipend for the fellow related to his or her academic year salary, and an allowance for research-related expenses overseas such as books and photocopying, tuition, affiliation fees, local travel, and other incidental expenses.

The application is an institutional application, so individual faculty members must apply through the Office of International Programs.  Sue Lorenz coordinates KU’s applications and assembles the comprehensive application for submission to the U.S. Department of Education.


  • Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States.
  • Is employed by an institution of higher education.
  • Has been engaged in teaching relevant to his or her foreign language or area studies specialization for the two years immediately preceding the date of the award.
  • Proposes research relevant to his or her modern foreign language or area studies specialization, which is not dissertation research for a doctoral degree.
  • Possesses sufficient foreign language skills to carry out the research project.


Sue Lorenz, director, Fulbright Programs and International Agreements

Connect with us


International Events